Massive Fire Engulfs Worthington Salvage Shop

Hot water heater ignites gasoline, four buildings destroyed

A massive fire destroyed four buildings at a Worthington business Friday.

Crews were called to Dyke’s Auto Salvage around 10 a.m.

Worthington Fire Chief Rick Von Holdt said the fire started after employees were removing the gas tank from a vehicle. Some gasoline was left in the tank and spilled on the floor and the fumes ignited with a nearby hot water heater.

Von Holdt says 35 firefighters from five fire departments had the blaze knocked down by about 3 p.m. It took about 75,000 gallons of water.

An office, dismantling garage and two other buildings are a complete loss.

No injuries were reported.