Houston Officials: Shooting Suspect Was Lawyer

Houston officials to examine shooter's residence

Houston bomb squad technicians are inspecting a Porsche believed to belong to the man police say opened fire at passing cars in a neighborhood, wounding nine.
Interim Police Chief Martha Montalvo says the gunman had several weapons but declined to immediately describe them.
Authorities haven’t identified the gunman, except to say he was a lawyer that lived in the neighborhood who was having problems with his law firm. Bomb squad officers also were examining his residence.
Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner was in Cuba for a trade mission but told KTRK-TV that it was “very very early” in the investigation.
One witness, 30-year-old Antwon Wilson, says he inadvertently drove into the shooting scene after dropping off his girlfriend at work and could “literally hear the gunfire flying.” He managed to flee and escape injury.
One person is in critical condition and another is in serious condition.

9:25 a.m.
The Houston police chief says that the suspect who wounded nine people in southwest Houston was a lawyer and there were issues with his law firm.
Chief Martha Montalvo did not identify the shooter at Monday’s news conference.
The shootings began at about 6:30 a.m. When the officers found the suspect, the suspect began firing at them and police shot the suspect. The suspect, who lives in the neighborhood, died at the scene.
Numerous weapons were found at the scene, and a bomb-squad robot is looking at a car that’s believed to be the shooter’s.
Montalvo says nine people were wounded, three were treated and released from a hospital. One is in critical condition and another is in serious condition.
8:50 a.m.

Houston police say several people have been shot at a strip mall in the city’s southwest and that officers shot the gunman.
Police said via Twitter Monday that an “active shooter at Weslayan & Bissonnet has been shot by our officers” and that there are no reports of other suspects “at this time.”
Police say several people have been taken to the hospital but that they cannot provide details about how many were shot or the severity of their injuries.
The Associated Press has left messages seeking comment from the police.
The shooting comes days after a shooting at a Washington state mall that left five people dead. On Sept. 17, a 20-year-old man stabbed 10 people at a Minnesota mall before being shot to death by an off-duty police officer.