Poorly Discarded Cigarettes Suspected Of Starting Fire

Sioux Falls Fire Rescue responded to a reported fire on the 600 Block of South Edward Drive at around 1:30 a.m. Friday morning. Witnesses stated the garage was on fire and the house was filling with smoke.

When crews arrived on scene, they reported smoke coming from the attached garage of a single story residence.

All residents were able to evacuate prior to crews arriving. No injuries were reported.

Fire crews had the fire under control within the first five minutes on scene.

Fire damage was contained to the garage area with only light smoke affecting the remainder of the house. The residents were not displaced due to the fire.

Investigators found that a container used to store discarded smoking materials caught fire and spread to other contents in the garage.

Sioux Falls Fire Rescue would like to remind you to properly discard of any smoldering materials in non-combustible container that is clear of any combustible material and has a tight sealing lid. Those containers should then be stored outside and away from any structures.