Discarded Cigarette Causes Saturday Night Apartment Fire

Sioux Falls Fire Rescue says a discarded cigarette caused Saturday night apartment fire.

Crews were called out to the 3500 block of S. West Avenue around 10:34 p.m.

Upon arrival, smoke was coming from a second floor apartment window.

According to Sioux Falls Fire Rescue, crews found a mattress on fire in the bedroom of a second floor apartment. The fire was extinguished within 15 minutes of arrival.

Sioux Falls Fire Rescue responded with four fire trucks, two support vehicles and 19 firefighters. Crews were also assisted by Sioux Falls Police Department, Paramedics Plus Ambulance and the Red Cross.

There were no civilian or firefighter injuries. The apartment was equipped with working smoke alarms.

Sioux Falls Fire Rescue would like to remind you to check the batteries in your smoke alarms.