Job Title: Multimedia Journalist
Reports To: News Director
The Multimedia Journalist is responsible for shooting, writing, and editing daily news stories for KDLT News and KDLT.com. Multimedia Journalists at KDLT-TV are expected to contribute to all newscasts as well as KDLT’s social media platforms.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Provide daily content for KDLT Newscasts: Every day, multimedia journalists contribute PKG’s and VO/SOT’s to KDLT-TV’s newscasts. Candidates are expected to provide original story ideas at newsroom editorial meetings and proceed to turn those ideas in stories. Although KDLT-TV does have two full-time photographers, candidates will be responsible for knowing how to shoot and edit their stories.
- Upload content to KDLT.com & Social Media Sites: Multimedia Journalists are responsible for posting their stories to KDLT.com as well as Facebook & Twitter. Candidates are required to create KDLT Facebook & Twitter accounts where they will interact with viewers and followers daily.
- Take at least one on-call shift per week: Multimedia journalists will be on-call at least one night per week. This means they will bring camera gear home with them and listen to the police scanner. If there is breaking news during the night/morning hours, they will cover the story and bring back video and sound if available for KDLT News Today, website and social media platforms.
- Work to develop contacts and sources for news stories: Multimedia Journalists should make it a priority to build relationships with city leaders and community organizations. Networking will allow you to become familiar with the people who help shape our communities.
- Take part in community events and station appearances: In order to continue to grow the KDLT-TV brand and image, newsroom employees are highly encouraged to take part in station appearances at activities such as parades, fundraisers, food drives, and schools throughout the year.
- Maintain outstanding driving record: KDLT-TV employees are allowed to drive KDLT-TV news cars, provided they have an outstanding driving record. This privilege may be lost if employee fails to comply with driving laws and regulations.
- Degree in Journalism with emphasis in Broadcasting
- Well-versed in using video cameras and non-linear editing equipment
- Solid understanding of AP-style writing
- Excellent news judgment
- Great work ethic
- Ability to multi-task
- Trained in effective social media strategies
Multimedia Journalists may be required to work an array of shifts ranging from days side (9:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.) to night side (1:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.) These shifts may include weekends. Schedule may change based upon special events, including elections, and breaking news. Journalists are also required to be on-call throughout the week and weekend; on-call shifts rotate between journalists. Multimedia Journalist may be required to travel to a news event on short notice at the discretion of the Manager.
Multimedia Journalists will be responsible for carrying the camera equipment to and from shoots.
This equipment may weigh up to 25 lbs.
Please send resume and demo reel to:
Jessica Brovold, News Director
3600 S Westport Ave. Sioux Falls, SD 57106