Mitchell Students Learn Fire Prevention
by Joel Young, Meteorologist/Reporter
October 09, 2012 6:29 PM
Tuesday morning, the Mitchell Fire Rescue crew dropped by Gertie Belle Rogers Elementary to teach kids all about how to stop, drop and roll, and to call 911 if they see fire or smoke.
While smoke detectors are a must in any home, a carbon monoxide detector is equally important.
“That carbon monoxide detector is going to be able to tell us if something is wrong with that furnace that isn’t burning correctly like anything with incomplete combustion. It’s important to have those things as a tool that we can use and have in the house as well,” says Steve Nedved of Mitchell Fire Rescue.
Of course, the crew talked to students about the importance of having a fire escape plan and how to test a smoke alarm.
The visit was all part of National Fire Prevention Week