Fire Prevention Tips For Your Home
by Laura Monteverdi, Reporter
December 11, 2012 5:03 PM
According to the National Fire Protection Association, in 2010, house fires caused 85 percent of all fire deaths. Heating is one of the leading causes of fires during these cold months. However, it is possible to stay both warm and safe this winter.
“Remember to keep combustibles away from the heating system. Unfortunately every year almost when people have combustibles near them that can cause fires," said Lynn DeYoung, director of Minnehaha County Emergency Management.
Improper use of candles can also be a recipe for disaster.
“Don't leave them unattended. Don't put them near combustibles such as drapes or in window frames or areas that can catch fire easily. Keep away from children and pets and don't forget to extinguish them when you leave the home or office,” said DeYoung.
Sioux Falls Fire Prevention officials suggest taking extra precautions like making an escape plan for your family.
“If you do get in a fire you need to make sure you have things planned out. Make sure you have an escape plan, exits aren't blocked and you have two ways out," said Shannnon Galbreath, a Sioux Falls fire inspector.
Galbreath said it is also important to check your smoke detector twice a year.
“Make sure there are working batteries in them. They actually have a test button you can test to make sure the batteries are working,” said Galbreath.
Fire inspectors also said that candles are a major fire hazard when left unattended. They also advise people not to use their oven as a heat source.