Veterinarians Warn Of Holiday Dangers
by Joel Young, Meteorologist/Reporter
December 12, 2012 8:39 PM
Local veterinarians are reminding the public to watch what kinds of Christmas decorations you put in reach of your pets.
A number of holiday plants have toxins, which may be dangerous if your pet consumes them.
Chocolate, macadamia nuts, and many foods you may typically think of has harmless may have a different effect on your pet.
But those aren’t the most common hazards.
“Your Christmas tree, or anything new to a dog or cat, including the ornaments may potentially be eaten which can cause foreign body problems. Tinsel’s a big one for cats because it’s like a string and they like that and it can definitely cause foreign body problems,” says Dr. Jaleen Brunner of All City Pet Care West in Sioux Falls.
Veterinarians say it is always important to keep the animal poison control hotline nearby in case of an emergency; but if your pet begins to show signs of sickness at any point, you can always contact your veterinarian.