Precautions Need to Be Taken in DT SF
by KDLT News
January 25, 2013 6:01 AM
An early morning explosion has left 200 people without power in downtown Sioux Falls. Crews from Xcel energy have been working to restore power to those affected. It is expected that the repairs will take much of the weekend to complete.
Sioux Falls Fire Chief Jim Sideras says that while the fire danger is over, there are still risks. He is asking that people do not attempt to install generators, use ovens for a source of heat, turn on grills indoors or use Knipko heaters indoors. Using those items run the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning and starting fires.
Sideras is also asking that people stay away from the area. The affected area continues to be 8th to 11th Street and Minnesota Ave to Phillips Ave. Some building may or may not have power depending on how power is supplied to the building.
The Emergency Red Cross Shelter is open at 808 West Avenue North. This is just south of the Arena/Convention Center. Those wanting information about sheltering should contact the Red Cross at 336-2448.
If you have an emergency, contact 911.