KDLT Home KDLT on Facebook KDLT on Twitter Get the KDLT iPhone App Get the KDLT Android App

Underground Explosion Causes Massive Outages



Bookmark and Share

 

An early Friday morning underground explosion has caused massive power outages for businesses and apartments in downtown Sioux Falls.


Firefighters said they were called to the intersection of 9th Street and Phillips Avenue around 4:30, where they said smoke and flames were coming from a manhole. Officials said some of the flames were shooting 20-30 feet high.

 

“It sounded like 2 big bangs, it was loud enough to wake me up,” said Anthony Hawthorne, who heard the explosion from his hotel room.

 

Officials say an explosion underground ignited the fire, putting enough pressure on the manholes for them to physically blow off and damage the electrical system below.

 

“We're going to have to replace all the electrical equipment underground. It is completely damaged," said Jim Wilcox from Xcel Energy. 

 

The explosion initially left nearly 500 downtown customers without power and has forced crews to shut down the entire stretch of 8th Street to 11th Street until further notice.

 

“I haven't seen anything like this before where we've had an electrical fire in the vaults,” said Chief Jim Sideras of Sioux Falls Fire Rescue. “Normally it's really small and contained and this one just happens to be much larger and just because of the nature of it, it affected a larger area of downtown Sioux Falls that is vital to Sioux Falls and we want to get moving as fast as we can,” explained Sideras.

 

Once the fire was put out and no gas leaks were found, Xcel crews were able to begin the underground investigation to find out what happened.

 

Fire crews remained on scene throughout the day to assist in an emergency.

 

“The fire is out. We're not worried about that now. It's the safety of the people working underground that we have all the fire crews down here for," said Sideras.

 

Officials say the main priority is to get power turned back on for downtown residents as quickly as possible.

 

Fire crews are warning downtown residents not to use generators or try to heat their homes using grills or ovens. They don’t want people to do this to avoid carbon monoxide problems and risk of fire.

 

 

 

 

< Prev Story Back To Top Next Story >
     

Great Plains Zoo Duck Dabbles In The Arts

If you think back to all the famous ducks: Scrooge, Donald, Daisy, Daffy, ...

Unauthorized Charges Linked To Fair Tickets

Brown County officials are investigating unauthorized charges on the credit and debit cards ...

South Dakota PUC Rules Against Wind Power Producer

South Dakota's Public Utilities Commission has ruled ...

Meade County Road Collapse Hampering Traffic  Jul. 23

Formerly Unstable Deadwood Building Has New Life  Jul. 23

Beresford Girl Wins Trip To The White House   story with video  Jul. 23

City Leaders Learn More About 'Ripple Effect'   story with video  Jul. 22

Fulton Woman's Death Not Suspicious   Jul. 22

SBA Reaches Out To Storm Victims  story with video  Jul. 22

City Inspecting Sump Pumps In SF Homes  story with video  Jul. 22

Sioux Falls Written Into Hit Television Show  story with video  Jul. 22

Wal-Mart Prepping for Sioux Falls Opening  Jul. 22

City Of Lead Establishes Parks Improvement Fund  Jul. 22

Rebels Release Bodies  story with video  Jul. 22

Rapid City Officials Say Campfire Started Blaze  Jul. 22

Terror Threats: 10 Years Later  story with video  Jul. 22

Fruit Sold At Sam's Club, Costco Recalled  Jul. 22

Update: RAGBRAI Rider Dies In Northern Iowa  Jul. 22

Man Pleads Guilty In Fatal New Year's Crash  Jul. 22

Sioux Falls Police, Fire Rescue Hiring  Jul. 22

KDLT News Archive
     

FX Series "Fargo" Will Be Set In Sioux Falls

The FX network is planning a second season of "Fargo" ...

Sioux Falls Written Into Hit Television Show  story with video

The hit show “Fargo” on the FX network has ...

Update: RAGBRAI Rider Dies In Northern Iowa

A participant in an annual bicycle ride across Iowa has died ...

City Inspecting Sump Pumps In SF Homes  story with video  Jul. 22

Wal-Mart Prepping for Sioux Falls Opening  Jul. 22

Fruit Sold At Sam's Club, Costco Recalled  Jul. 22

Fulton Woman's Death Not Suspicious   Jul. 22

City Leaders Learn More About 'Ripple Effect'   story with video  Jul. 22

KDLT News Archive
     

Donohue's 67 highlights final day at State Junior Golf  story with video

University of Arizona bound Max Donohue of Sioux Falls fired a blistering ...

Tuesday's Legion Region recap  story with video

Watertown and Brookings will meet Wednesday in the winner's bracket of Region 1-A in Watertown with the winner ...

SDSU names Wood new softball coach

South Dakota State director of athletics Justin Sell announced on Tuesday ...

Birds fall at St. Paul  Jul. 21

Tough day for Spirit Lake and Lemars at state softball  story with video  Jul. 21

Ed Moses sets example for local swimmers  story with video  Jul. 21

Madison Tops Dell Rapids Twice For Region Title  story with video  Jul. 20

Dakota Schoolers Win Pentagon Summer Slam  story with video  Jul. 20

KDLT Sports Stories
     
Back To Top