Valley Springs Family Recovers After Fire
by Breanna Fuss, Reporter
March 11, 2013 5:50 PM
A Valley Springs family is picking up the pieces Monday night after a fire destroyed their home on Saturday. The family lost off their belongings including two dogs that were killed in the fire. But relatives of the family said they are happy their relatives were able to escape.
Within minutes, toys, clothes and memories went up in flames, and all the Boheman family could do was watch from afar.
“It started in the garage and just went through the house real fast,” said John Boheman, father of the homeowner.
Boheman’s son Chad owns the now blackened and burned home. Chad and his wife Pam lived here with their six-year-old daughter Tasha, 23-year-old son Jacob and their four dogs. John said just another Saturday quickly turned into any family’s worst nightmare.
“She (Pam) thought she smelt smoke, and then the smoke alarms went off inside the house,” said John. “The older son was down in the basement sleeping. He came up and grabbed the garden hose, because she said the garage was on fire. And he opened the door and it was so hot they just grabbed everything and ran.”
He said officials told the family a propane heater in the garage started the fire. Fire officials also believe one of the family's dogs may have played a role.
“It knocked over something onto the propane heater, or the dog was in front of the heater when it kicked it, it set him on fire,” said John.
And within minutes they had to evacuate the home, without coats or shoes. But John said just days after the tragedy, the community has shown an endless amount of support.
“Friends stopped by, neighbors stopped by, saying we've got this, we've got that. A lot of stuff has poured in,” said John. “We've got a stack of clothes four feet high at our house.”
But even though it seems everything is lost, John said the family’s spirits are up, and even six-year-old Tasha was able to salvage some of her favorite toys.
“Basically lost everything but she got some games and some Barbie dolls yesterday,” John said.
And they are a family grateful for all of the support.
“We appreciate everybody's concern and willingness to help,” said John.
There is a fund set up at Sioux Falls Federal Credit Union under Chad and Pam Boheman to give the family financial assistance.