S. Sioux City Won't Join Lawsuit Over Flooding
by Associated Press
April 13, 2013 8:49 PM
Officials in South Sioux City now say the eastern Nebraska city will not join a class-action lawsuit against the federal government seeking compensation for massive 2011 Missouri River flooding.
Mayor Bill McLarty says he City Council did not want to wait five or six years for the case against the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to be resolved. McLarty says he and other fear that could delay payments from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
City Administrator Lance Hedquist had said earlier this month that the city would join the lawsuit, adding that the corps hadn't done enough to prevent the flooding.
But the City Council voted against it on Monday.