Fire Marshal: Sioux City Blaze Started In Kitchen
by Associated Press
August 23, 2013 7:11 AM
Authorities say two people found dead in their Sioux City home probably died of smoke inhalation.
The two were identified on Thursday as Susan and Steve Smid, who were 58. She was a music teacher for the Sioux City school district. He worked for the district's food services.
Their bodies were found inside their home on Thursday morning. Sioux City Fire Marshal Mark Aesoph says the fire started on top of a stove and later died out because of a lack of oxygen.
Firefighters found a smoke detector that was damaged by the fire, but it is unclear whether it was working.
Firefighters revived the couple's dog, which was found in the home.