SIOUX FALLS, S.D. -

Sioux Falls Fire Rescue responded to a trash compactor fire at Savers Thrift Store Wednesday just after noon.

It happened around 12:15 p.m. at the location on S Shirley Avenue. The first arriving Sioux Falls Fire Rescue crew found a fire in a trash compactor connected to the back of the store. Crews were able to contain the fire to the trash compactor and the attached dumpster within minutes of arrival, however smoke was filling the interior of the store.

The second Sioux Falls Fire Rescue crew on scene ensured the store had been evacuated and began ventilation operations to clear the smoke from the building along with assistance from another Sioux Falls Fire Rescue crew.

At the request of Sioux Falls Fire Rescue, Savers management called in their garbage removal provider to move the dumpster away from the trash compactor. Gaining access to the interior of the compactor and the dumpster, crews were able to completely extinguish the fire and remove the source of the smoke entering the store.

Sioux Falls Fire Rescue responded with four fire apparatus, three support vehicles, and 19 personnel. Sioux Falls Fire Rescue was assisted on scene by Sioux Falls PD, Paramedics Plus ambulance, and Novak Sanitary Service.

Sioux Falls Fire Rescue would remind residents to test their smoke detectors monthly, check the detector’s expiration date, and change the batteries when you change your clocks.

For more information from Sioux Falls Fire Rescue, visit www.siouxfalls.org/fire or follow us on facebook.com/siouxfallsfire or twitter.com/siouxfallsfire .