Jacob Giles of Dakota State (S.D.) has been named the National Offensive Player of the Week, Jeff Branch of Presentation (S.D.) is this week's Defensive Player of the Wek and Doane's (Neb.) Andres Buroin was selected as the Special Teams Player of the Week, the national office announced Monday. These athletes were chosen for their performances during the week of Sept. 5 – 11 and were selected out of a pool of conference award winners.
National Offensive Player of the Week
Jacob Giles, Dakota State (S.D.)
Jr., QB, Madison, S.D.
• In only the first three games of the season, Giles has completed 82-of-131 for 1,078 yards. Has averaged 359.3 passing yards per game as well.
• Giles has thrown 16 touchdown passes and had no interceptions for the Trojans.
• He now has a Dakota State record for most touchdown passes in a single game with seven against St. Ambrose (Iowa). The Trojans won this game 62-48.
• In another record setting area, Giles set a new school record for most completions in a single game with 32-of-42 completed passes, good for a 76.2 percent completion rate.
• Giles led his team to two victories over NAIA Top 25 teams this season, which is the first time in more than 20 years DSU has had two victories over nationally ranked teams.
• This is the first Player of the Week honor for Giles.
• Last Dakota State National Football Player of the Week: Ben Kullos (defensive; Oct. 19, 2015).
Giles has been selected to the North Star Athletic Association (NSAA) Football Conference Offensive Player-of-the-Week for the third consecutive week.
Dakota State recorded its fifth win in the last seven games, dating from last season.
The Trojans earned their third victory over the NAIA's Top 25 nationally-ranked team in the last four occurrences that DSU faced a Top 25 team (defeated No. 24-ranked Dickinson State, N.D. 54-21 on Oct. 17, 2015 at Trojan Field, No. 16 DWU 34-30 on Aug. 26 in Mitchell and No. 24 Saint Ambrose 62-48 on Sept. 10 at Trojan Field; while dropping its only loss to No. 24 Dickinson State 49-30 at the Fargodome on Nov. 8, 2015).
DSU (2-1 overall record) continues their three-game home stand at Trojan Field, hosting Waldorf (Iowa) as part of Ag Bowl. Kick-off is set for 6 p.m.