Victim’s Babysitter Testifies At Patterson Trial

Testimony Unveils Daycare Provider's Less Than Perfect Past

Sorry, this video is no longer available

For nearly a week, a jury of 12 women and 4 men have been listening to testimony in the trial for the man accused of murdering Adrian Peterson’s son. Joseph Patterson is charged with 2nd degree murder in the death of 2-year-old Tyrese Ruffin back in October of 2013.

Marilyn Knurck testified that Oct. 9, 2013 was a normal day. Tyrese Ruffin, a child at her in-home daycare, was playing outside, when his mom arrived shortly before 5 p.m. Knurck said Ty ran to her because he didn’t want to leave, she picked him up and he clung on to her like ‘he had never done before’. Crying on the stand, Knurck said she told Ty that she will see him tomorrow. That day never came.

Almost exactly an hour later, after Ashley Doohen dropped the toddler off at her boyfriend’s apartment, Joseph Patterson would place a call to 911. He told dispatchers he found Ty not breathing on the couch after he went to the bathroom. Several doctors testified that he suffered brain hemorrhages, likely from abusive trauma. They said the symptoms would have happened simultaneously to his injuries, but still Knurck was questioned about her past.

Knurck testified about two incidents that happened after Ty’s death, one in October of last year. Knurck said while trying to open a gate, a boy fell out of her arms, hitting the floor. She didn’t say anything to the parents until they questioned her. It was later discovered that that boy had also suffered a brain bleed and needed surgery.

The most recent incident happened in March. Knurck said a child suffered several bruises when she had left the room. She said she didn’t know about them until again the parents called her. Knurck was charged in the incident and no longer has a daycare license.

The prosecution also played the dash cam video Friday from Officer Darin Martyna’s patrol car on Oct. 9, the night Ty was found not breathing while in Patterson’s care. The video lasted around a half hour, from the time Martyna got to the apartment, until he dropped Patterson off at the hospital.

The video showed Patterson’s demeanor in the patrol car very up and down, he made several phone calls to his mother, father and brother. During one of the phone calls, Patterson was crying saying “I know it ain’t my fault. I did everything I could.” The officer also noticed and was noticeable in the video that Patterson had a major muscle spasms at the time, which the defense says could have been because of the adrenaline rush.

Categories: Crime-imported, Master Parent-imported, News-imported