Stampede Stumble Against Tri-City

Herd fall to Storm 4-1 at home

For the third straight game the Stampede tallied the first goal of the game, but this time it wouldn’t be enough as the Herd fell 4-1 to the Tri-City Storm before 6,047 at the PREMIER Center Friday night. The loss ended a two-game winning streak for the Herd who fell to 19-20-2 on the year, but remain in a tie for fourth place in the West. Daniel Warpecha tallied the only goal of the game for the Stampede while Ales Stezka stopped 26 shots between the pipes. The Stampede and Storm will play again Saturday night at the PREMIER Center and then again next Friday in Kearney.

The Stamped got off on the right foot in the game as Daniel Warpecha tallied his eighth goal of the season. Csanad Erdely sent a pass off the right wing side to Warpecha who raced towards the net and wristed a shot through the pads of Tri-City goaltender Jake Kielly just 6:24 into the game. Tri-City would respond just over six minutes later when Walker Duehr broke inside the right circle and sent a pass into the slot for Alex Limoges who tapped the puck past Stampede netminder Ales Stezka. Sioux Falls outshot the Storm 10-9 in the first, but were flagged for a late penalty that carried over to the start of the second.
The Stampede held off the Storm power play to begin the second period and most of the period was back-and-forth with neither side creating too much excitement until the 14:19 mark when John Marino wristed a shot from the left point that went through traffic and beat Stezka on the stick side to give the Storm their first lead of the night at 2-1. That was the only goal of the period as Tri-City outshot the Herd 9-8 and took their one goal into the third and final period.

The Herd were hoping the third period would be where they got back on track, but it took the Storm only 15 seconds for Tri-City to find the back of the net. Carson Meyer brought the puck into the offensive zone and wristed from the high slot that deflected off the glove of Stezka and into the back of the net to make it a 3-1 game. After that the Stampede weren’t able to generate much offensively until the final five minutes of the period, but were unable to convert on some great scoring chances that would either go wide or bounce off a Stampede stick. The Storm would seal the game for good with just over a minute remaining with an empty net goal to close out the win, 4-1.

Tri-City outshot the Herd 12-9 in the period and 30-27 on the night. The Storm were 1-for-4 on the power play while the Stampede finished the night 0-for-3.

Categories: Master Parent-imported, Semi Pro, Sioux Falls Stampede-imported, Sports Top Stories-imported, Video