SF Fire Rescue, Fraternal Order Of Police Compete For Donations, Basketball Trophy

It may be a friendly competition, but a trophy is on the line.

Sioux Falls Fire Rescue will take on the Fraternal Order of Police in the 2nd Annual Battle of the Badges Charity Basketball Game. The game will take place at the Sanford Pentagon Tuesday night at 7 p.m. They’re asking that those who attend make a good will offering at the door. The winner will donate 60 percent of the donations to a charity of their choice. The loser will donate the other 40 percent. Fire Rescue earned the bragging rights last year with a final score of 62-41.

Sioux Falls Police Officer Darin Martyna said, “People see us all the time patrolling, as well as fire. They never have a chance to really come meet us and talk with us so we encourage that. We want to be their friend, we want to show them what we do outside. We’re not just the badge.”

Sioux Falls Fire Rescue has decided to donate the proceeds to the St. Florian Fire and Burn Foundation who assists burn survivors in Iowa, Nebraska, and South Dakota. The Fraternal Order of Police will donate their winnings to the Bowden Youth Center with Volunteers of America.