Teens Identified In Weekend Homicide, Suspect To Be Tried As Adult

Police release new information about how social media helped find suspect

Police have identified the 18-year-old man killed over the weekend on Hermosa drive. According to police, Arick J. Strauser of Sioux Falls was brutally beaten by 16-year-old Wilson Deontrez Hughes sometime after 10 p.m. Friday night.

A video posted to social media, showed the attack happened hours before officers arrived on scene.

“Our victim was out walking in the area right around 10:30, he encountered a group of five kids right where he was found,” said Sioux Falls Police Captain, Blaine Larsen.

That’s when police say Strauser began yelling profanities at the group. Soon, that verbal altercation turned physical.

“One of the group of this five kids began to beat the victim up.”

Captain Larsen said they then stole some of Strauser’s personal property and in the midst of leaving the scene they ran into another group of four teenagers. After telling that group of four what they did, that’s when police say the group of four did the unthinkable.

“We learned that a picture or some electronic media was uploaded to the internet.”

A short video clip that was uploaded around 10:30 that night depicting Strauser fighting for his life. It has since been taken down. Fortunately, that clip helped law enforcement recreate a timeline of the incident.

As police investigated, they learned that Strauser was checked out by Sioux Falls Fire and Rescue just before 10 p.m. that night near 9th Street and Benson Avenue. Crews say he appeared to look disoriented, but overall fine. Crews called police just in case, but by the time law enforcement arrived. Strauser was gone.

“We know that the time frame was sometime after the fire department saw him wandering up there around 10 to this picture being uploaded around 10:30  was the time of the assault,” added Larsen.

Police have since interviewed all of the teenagers in this case and located Strausser’s belongings in a nearby home. Hughes is charged with three counts first-degree manslaughter, according to Minnehaha County Prosecutor, Amanda Eden.

At this point, the case will be handled in adult court. There is a chance that Hughes will appeal this decision at a later date and have it moved to the juvenile criminal justice system. Hughes is currently lodged in the Minnehaha County jail, segregated from the rest of the general population. He is held on a $500,000 cash-only bond according to Eden.

Captain Larsen says there is a possibility that more charges could be filed for the other teens involved in this case. An official autopsy was scheduled for Monday.

Categories: Crime-imported, Master Parent-imported, News-imported, Video