History Of Collapsed Sioux Falls Building
Sioux Falls city officials are providing a brief history about the building that collapsed earlier today in Downtown Sioux Falls.
According to the city officials, records indicate that the Copper Lounge building located at 136 S Phillips Avenue and Eastwold Smoke Shop located at 110 E 10th Street was built in 1916.
County records indicate that the building was owned by CLP Investments LLC but had recently been transferred to Boomerang Investments LLC.
Preliminary plan submittals to City Building Services proposed the renovation of the first story to a 4,800 square foot retail suite for a Lewis Drug Downtown with the existing smoke shop area remaining as a retail suite. The plans proposed the expansion of the existing Copper Lounge area into the adjoining single-story old Skelly’s area.
On October 6, 2016, City Building Services issued a limited permit authorizing Hultgren Construction LLC to remove interior finishes such as furnishings, floor coverings, ceiling tiles, and an existing bar area.
City Building Services has been awaiting structural engineering and architectural submittals from the builder before issuing authorization to begin any further work on the project.