City Closes Multiple Intersections Due To Heavy Rainfall
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – Several intersections in Sioux Falls have flooded, and City crews are posting barricades around flooded areas.
Intersections and roads that are currently closed include:
- 69th Street and Minnesota Avenue
- 57th Street and Sycamore Avenue
- 57th Street and Bahnson Avenue
- 6th Street and Cliff Avenue
- 41st Street and Cliff Avenue
- 85th Street and Grange Avenue
- 33rd Street and Western Avenue
- Interstate 29 and Maple Street
- North 4th Avenue and Maple Street
- Westport Avenue between 41st and 49th Street
- 33rd Street at Grange Avenue
Area parks and the Bike Trail may be impacted by flooding. Use caution when entering parks or accessing the bike path. Police and Streets teams are monitoring, identifying, and adding road blocks to impassible streets. The city is reminding drivers not to drive in flooded intersections. Even a small amount of moving water can carry a vehicle off the road. The city is asking drivers to be on the lookout for man hole covers that may be missing from roadways. Call Public Works at 605-367-8188 or after 4:30 p.m. call 605-367-8189 tp report any missing man hole covers.
The city is also reminding residents to ensure sump pumps are draining outside your home. Improperly discharging sump pumps into the sanitary sewer system can result in sewage backups into homes. It is illegal to attach sump pumps to floor drains or otherwise connect them to the City’s sanitary sewer system. Sumps pumps should be discharged into yards or streets. To report a sewer backup, call the Public Works Water Reclamation Division at 367-8188 or after 4:30 p.m. call 605-367-8189.