No Weapons Found In Hours Long Standoff, Rapid City Parolee In Custody

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – It took police a little more than 2 hours to get a Rapid City man who violated his parole in custody. When confronted 43-year-old Jeremy Hoeft told police officers he was armed with a weapon and an explosive device. That triggered heavy law enforcement presence in downtown Sioux Falls. But the end result is exactly what officers wanted.

“The negotiators did a fantastic job,” says Sioux Falls Police Officer Sam Clemens.

For majority of the afternoon, multiple Sioux Falls Police and SWAT units surrounded the downtown library.

“Anytime we have a standoff or a barricaded person, there are a lot of resources,” explains Clemens.

Many of the officers had their weapons drawn, pointing toward a silver car. That’s where the suspect, Jeremy Hoeft, was hiding out.

“We got a tip from parole services that there was a parole absconder that was in Sioux Falls,” says Clemens.

Police say Hoeft was on parole in Rapid City, but he hasn’t made contact with his supervisor for months. They don’t know why he was on parole in the first place at this time. But when officers confronted Hoeft, he told them he was armed.

“One of the officers thought what they saw was possibly a knife,” explains Clemens.

Sioux Falls police evacuated the library and closed off multiple surrounding streets, for precautionary measures. However, Clemens says, “just after 4:30 p.m. the man ended up surrendering peacefully.”

Sioux Falls took Hoeft into custody without any incident. And no weapon or explosive device was found after the bomb squad searched the car.

“We’re just pleased that it was a successful conclusion, everyone was safe and nobody was injured,” says Clemens.

The setting of this hour-long stand-off played a part in the peaceful ending.

“The officers were behind the car while it was still driving, so they had a good idea that he was in the car, so there wasn’t much opportunity to try to find a different place to hide,” says Clemens.

Hoeft was a passenger in the car when officers first located him. The driver knew Haft, but told police he had no clue law enforcement was looking for him.

It’s too soon to know what, if any, charges will be filed against Hoeft.