Waterloo Keeps Stampede Winless At Home

Herd Give Up Three Goals In Final Period And Lose 4-2

Sioux Falls, SD—Two goals just eighteen seconds apart early in the third period was the difference as the Sioux Falls Stampede fell 4-2 to the Waterloo Black Hawks Saturday night before 5,189 fans at the PREMIER Center. Sioux Falls led 2-1 heading into the third period only to see Waterloo rally and take the game. The loss keeps the Herd winless at home (0-2-1) and is the second straight to the Black Hawks who also won 4-2 on October 7th in Sioux Falls. Colin Swoyer and Mitchell Mattson tallied the only goals of the game for the Herd while Mikhail Berdin stopped 34 of 37 shots in goal as the Stampede fell to 3-2-2 on the season.

After a back-and-forth start to the game, the Black Hawks tallied the first goal of the game at 9:59 when Calvin Pokorny wristed a shot inside the right circle past the glove of Berdin to take a 1-0 lead. The Hawks would get into penalty trouble just minutes later and the Stampede would convert as Colin Swoyer blasted a shot from the top of the left circle into the back of the net to tie the game at one. Artem Ivanyuzhenkov and Adam Dawe recorded assists on the goal. The Herd appeared to take a 2-1 lead just minutes later when Kristian Acosta put the puck over the line, but the goal was reviewed and waved off as the net had come off the pegs, blowing the play dead and keeping it a 1-1 game. Waterloo outshot the Stampede 15-13 in the period.

The Herd would score again early in the second and this time it would count. Kevin Conley sent a pass up the right-wing boards to Mitchell Mattson who fired a shot from the top of the right circle past the glove of Waterloo goaltender Jared Moe to give the Herd a 2-1 advantage. That would be the only goal of the period with the Stampede outshooting Waterloo 14-12.

In the third the Stampede killed off an early power play for the Black Hawks, but Waterloo tied the game at 2:30 when Dylan Mills picked up a loose rebound in front of the net and slipped it past a sliding Berdin. 18 seconds later the Hawks had the lead when Ethan Johnson’s wrister from the left circle found its way into the back of the net for a 3-2 Waterloo lead. The Stampede had a 5-on-3 advantage later on in the period, but couldn’t get anything to go and found themselves down by a goal in the final minute. With Berdin pulled for an extra attacker, the Hawks beat out what appeared to be icing and sealed the game when Ben Copeland scored on the empty net.

Waterloo outshot the Herd 11-7 in the period and 38-34 on the night. The Black Hawks were 0-for-3 on the power play while the Stampede were 1-for-5.

The Stampede will travel on the road next weekend as they make a trip to Madison on Friday to face the Capitols before going to Green Bay on Saturday and Sunday. Game times Friday and Saturday are 7:05 PM with a 3:05 PM start time coming on Sunday. Fans can catch all the games live on KELO News Talk 1320-AM, 107.9-FM and KELO.com. The Herd return home on Saturday, November 4th for Pink in the Rink night, presented by Sioux Falls Specialty Hospital.

-Recap Courtesy Sioux Falls Stampede

Categories: Semi Pro, Sioux Falls Stampede-imported, Sports, Sports Top Story