Volunteers Sought to Help With Statewide Homeless Count
January 23 marks annual event to measure progress, needs
An annual statewide homeless count, which helps obtain funding to support those most vulnerable in our state, is scheduled for later this month in South Dakota.
Volunteers throughout the state are needed for the January 23rd event, hosted by the Housing for the Homeless Consortium, based out of Pierre. SDHHC is Data collected is an affiliate of South Dakota Housing Development Authority (SDHDA). Information collected is used to help policymakers and communities measure progress, identify strengths and gaps in services, increase public awareness of homelessness, and enhance system planning and responses.
The Point-In-Time homeless count is a critical source of annual data on homeless persons and families, providing characteristics of people who are experiencing homelessness. Data from the annual PIT homeless count is used to measure homelessness on local, state, and national levels.
In a press release, SDHHC stated that to be effective, the state is divided into six-count areas. Coordinators and their areas are listed below. If you would like to be involved, you’re asked to contact the individuals in your area for more information on training and organization plans for communities.
- Sioux Falls Contact: Stacey Tieszen, Minnehaha County Department of Human Services, (605) 978-5611 or email@example.com
- Rapid City Contacts: Barb Garcia, Rapid City Community Development, (605) 394-4181 or Barbara.firstname.lastname@example.org and Andrea Denke, Community Health Center of the Black Hills, (605) 394-2230 or email@example.com
- Minnehaha, Grant, Deuel, Codington, Hamlin, Clark, Kingsbury, Brookings, Miner, Lake, Lincoln, Moody, McCook, Turner Contacts: Arleen Weerheim, Inter-Lakes Community Action Partnership, (605) 256-6518 or firstname.lastname@example.org and Tammie Denning 605-334-2808 or email@example.com
- Beadle, Brown, Campbell, Day, Edmunds, Faulk, Hand, Hughes, Hyde, Marshall, McPherson, Potter, Roberts, Spink, Stanley, Sully, Walworth Contact: Patrick Gallagher, GROW South Dakota, (605) 626-2565 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bennet, Butte, Corson, Custer, Dewey, Fall River, Jackson, Haakon, Harding, Lawrence, Meade, Pennington, Perkins, Ziebach, Oglala Lakota Contact: Laurie Theilmann, Western South Dakota Community Action Partnership, (504) 348-1460 or Laurie@wsdca.org
- Aurora, Bon Homme, Brule, Buffalo, Charles Mix, Clay, Davison, Douglas, Gregory, Lyman, Mellette, Sanborn, Todd, Trip, Union, Yankton, Hanson, Hutchinson, Jerauld Jones Contact: Darcie Bultje, Rural Office of Community Services, (605) 487-7634 or dbultje@Rocsinc.org